Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Jetlife
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I think a big hurdle that will be hard to overcome, is that the equipment, and the environment in which AMF operates is unique. Short of legitimately crewing all aircraft with paid, trained and qualified FOs and making a spectacular SOP, and changing the fleet to something more modern, I don't know if they can fix the issues.

The vast majority of new pilots are getting their certificates/ratings/hours in modern aircraft with modern equipment and flying in the modern environment. The disconnect between that and the way AMF flies, and the equipment they fly is large, and increasing. AMF isn't an easy flying job even if you are completely used to older equipment and avionics, I can't imagine learning on a G1000 with a good autopilot, then having to try and literally learn how to scan and fly all over again.

Whether or not is is a good move to start a career or not is a completely different discussion. The class pictures that are posted on IG and FB seem to indicate that more older pilots are coming to AMF. Whatever their backgrounds are I don't know...

Buying a Redbird means they are conscious of an issue, however if what was said above has any merit, it would indicate that they still aren't real concerned breaking that cultural stigma, and that would really really change things there I think.

That being said, if you are a crappy pilot, and you fail training, then it is your fault not AMF. I think lots of AMF alum know at least one person that was pushed through training (upper managements orders) that had no business flying single pilot IFR. Unfortunately the guy I am thinking buried himself into the Mazatal mountains in AZ. Failing training because you can't make the standard could be literally life saving. It isn't for everyone...

The training department was my biggest "system" pet peeve when I worked there. I had plenty of check airmen and training captains as friends, and I was a training captain. I would cringe at the way the company approached training, the mentality, the execution, and the disciplinary aura that came along with it. I know they have made changes so hopefully it continues to change.