View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 06:30 PM
tattooguy21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: military rotary wing, dual seat

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Yes, a large hiring period coming up. It is, compared to past booms, heavily based on retirements that cannot be put off so it will happen. OTOH, seniority puts a premium on being in early, the forecast is for the next 8-10 years of large hiring periods at all carriers as the '80s and 90s hires leave. Getting in with a legacy thru about 2021 should ensure a great career, later date of hire will tend to put pilots on the back side of the seniority list. Growth is an unknown, if the hiring is for retirements, there will be a period of stagnation unless significant growth in airline fleets and block hours occurs.

There was a huge bulge in hiring during the '83-'89 timeframe as the 60s hires left, then a furlough period as the lines overhired into a early '90s recession, followed by some hiring fir attrition and growth until 9/11 hit. Along with recession and 9/11, the flight engineers on the B727, B747 and DC-10 fleets were eliminated, all of which created the last 14 years on stagnation leading to a boom.

I know several recent DL, AA and UA hires who are in the early 30s, they will be senior wide-body captains most of their careers.

I've only looked at this boom and bust cycle for 45 years, so what do I know?

GF
Thanks for the input. The wife's uncle (legacy pilot) has been telling me to throw my hat in the ring for years but I've been waiting.