View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 11:00 AM
CompSciAndFly
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Default Next Step? Graduation in May..

Hey there,

So here is my story, I'm graduating with my bachelor's degree in Computer Science this upcoming May. I have this outstanding ambition to become a Pilot. I realized that this is what I wanted to do about a year ago, but by that time it was too late to change colleges in order to get a degree in Aviation or another closely related field. I realize that it's not necessary to get a degree in Aviation, but I'm sure it would've sped up the process.

I've seen all of these cadet and pilot gateway programs like the one JetBlue is offering. Although, at this point I'm 22, and therefore do not meet the age requirements. I scoured the web looking for a Master's degree program like that, but sadly I do not think they exist.

From what I understand, I've got only 1 option. Get a Software Engineering job straight out of college, in order to fund my PPL. Then, slowly work my way to a CFI to get a weekend job as an instructor to raise my in-flight hours. Lastly, get a CPL or ATPL in order to start my career.

Is there any other options out there? I imagine that this will take quite a while to do with a full-time job. I'd like something where I could possibly get trained to be a pilot by the same company who employs me, although this seems pretty unlikely. I've thought about going the military route; but that seems like it could even take longer to get to the point where I want to be in life.

I'm not in this for the money, or else Software Engineering might be a better route. I'm in it because this is what I'm truly passionate about. I understand that pay is going to be bad starting off, I do not care, I just want to get to that starting position as soon as possible.

Any advice would be wonderful, I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Last edited by CompSciAndFly; 02-22-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added Content