View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 AM
LuckyNow
Child of the Magenta

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: 737

Originally Posted by mainlineAF View Post
Every airline I've worked for uses com 1 for everything. Why do you need to monitor ground when you're on the ramp? If you need to call ops while taxing (LGA) the fo just calls on 2 and captain handles ground.

I've flown with FOs who just switch to #2 without telling me when approaching the ramp and I have no clue what's going as I'm busy taxiing. At least tell the other guy if you're going to be switching coms. Mostly eagle flows as I guess that's what they do there. Those guys typically end up calling ramp on guard as well.
I land in ORD. I need to call ramp/ops to check on the gate and concurrently monitor ground. I put the common ramp and ops frequency into 2 and verify that we have a good gate. If we landed on 9L I call ramp 30 minutes later as we're finally approaching the alley and ramp is already in 2, why would I put it in 1? What if, while we are approaching the alley ground control tells us to give way to an EMB that's taxiing way too fast on Alpha because the early 30s captain is rushing to the gate to send his Snapchats? But I already switched off of ground? That's why I keep ground in until I'm completely off the taxiways.