Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 AM
BizJet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by tcco94 View Post
Yup, exactly! Some people aren't in a huge rush because they have an awesome job and probably location (like yourself) and take the hit building time. Also, probably better quality students and possibly more money.

I took a hit on my QOL and taught Chinese in AZ. Still had fun but worked A LOT and also got 1000 dual given in 1 year and I was off to the airlines. People just complain it can't be done. It can be done, but you have to out weigh the options. Do you want to have fun, good money, benefits, and an awesome experience (like you) or do you want to log hours the fastest way possible with 1 vacation in your year. Lol.

In some ways if I did it over I would have instructed back at my flight school or somewhere I could have a more relaxed and fun experience and enjoyed teaching....but I can't complain with getting done in the amount of time I had.

Just gotta follow what you want, but building 1500 hours really isn't that a big of deal like people set out to make it. I'm sure you agree with me, relatively it sounds like.
Yep! Some guys could get it within a year or so if they worked the schedule to get 8 flight hours a day. Yeah some weeks I worked my butt off and flew everyday. That, however, was normally a means to a trip I was taking the next week. Normally if I took a long weekend off I'd make it up to my students the week before or after.

Getting 8 flight hours a day was hard. It meant you normally scheduled 10+ hours. Something would always happen to ground you be it MX, weather, student, etc..

Before the 1500 rule my plan was to go to Cape Air to build time and get my ATP. Then at some point switch over to the regionals. After the 1500 rule it made no sense to go to Cape Air if I could start the regionals at 1000TT. I think I'd be a more experienced pilot if I had ended up going to Cape Air.