Davetastic
Ice-bagger

Joined APC: Sep 2014

hos·tileˈhästl,ˈhäˌstīl/
adjective
adjective: hostile
unfriendly; antagonistic.
"a hostile audience"
synonyms:unfriendly, unkind, bitter, unsympathetic, malicious, vicious, rancorous, venomous, poisonous, virulent;

I asked the interwebs;

What constitutes a hostile work environment?

Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.

For me I like to use the literal meaning of a word to get my point across, not a twisted, distorted or perverse definition to unnecessarily rally support using rhetoric for a cause or position where support for that cause already has momentum. Our language is so powerful and we have vocabulary that is so vast that it becomes counterproductive to misuse definitions of words in an effort to enhance a standpoint whereby the target audience will inevitably procure, dissect and draw their own conclusions regardless of extemporaneous internet threads. In this case a candidate will walk in, expect extreme hardship and hostility based on the premise that Atlas is a hostile work environment. To make the argument that Atlas is a hostile work environment is hypocritical in nature because it is based on the notion that the goal in making the aforementioned argument is to incite fear in prospective candidates in hopes of either scaring them toward one position or another or to keep them from applying altogether. That being said, that same candidate will hypothetically conclude training, get online and may or may not witness the drama, hostility, and poisonous behavior that has disseminated through the rumor mill and may begin to make inferences that perhaps the rhetoric is being overplayed thereby diluting the cause to muster support toward obtaining a better contract. People come from different backgrounds and have different experiences therefore not everyone will agree to a particular point....and that is OK.

From my side of the proverbial table, it sucks to be going through these poor business decisions that Atlas is making in an effort to secure a better contract plain and simple. And it is because I am not sitting on the CEO's side of the table that I believe it is bad business. I do want more money and better work rules. If I were on the other side of that table however, I am sure my perspective and definition of good/bad business would change. But that is all it is....BUSINESS. This song and dance that Atlas and the union are engaging in is tantamount to political hearings and Senate confirmations: The target gets pulled through the ringer and then gets passed, one way or another. But do I think my work environment is unlawful or hostile to me personally in anyway, no.

This post is not directed toward anyone in particular. It is my personal opinion so if there are those that feel the urge to make me the recipient of a personal attack because of that opinion then I would implore that person to think twice before submitting or suffer the potential consequence from the multitude of individuals who read this forum that hold very dear the sanctity of freedom of speech.

and btw, well said Atlas Shrugged. Those that fall into some of those categories shouldn't be ridiculed for wanting to make Atlas a change from where they came regardless for the duration of their stay or dissenting opinion.

Last edited by Davetastic; 03-25-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: add comment.