Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 PM
CLazarus
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 777FO
Default Attarian: Virtual Bases still a “Great Idea"

I have it on first hand authority HA himself said exactly this a while back. He also said he’s personally brought up the subject with our MEC Chair. For anyone who remembers previous threads I’ve participated in regarding the subject of Virtual/Satellite/Sub Bases, you might imagine my delight at learning this. However….

After all the vague warnings of possible “unintended consequences” (glug, glug, burp), I actually thought up one on my own that I won’t detail on an open forum. In general I realized how some pilots might effectively be ‘forced into’ a Virtual Base. That is obviously unacceptable. But, as circumstances change, this possible “consequence” might be rendered moot by other events.

Also, I have a better sense now of how difficult it can be to influence the MEC. Now I never imagined it would be easy, but after observing a separate/noncontroversial LEC resolution get nowhere at the MEC level I see no point in the near-term pursuit of something far more divisive which I’d be lucky to even get approved at the LEC level.

Meanwhile, I do not believe DAL’s own VB test has even started yet. If DAL is successful I imagine that UAL might bring the subject up with us again anyways when contract negotiations open next year. Or not.

Been a little dull on the Forums lately. Peace out.