View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Sr. Barco
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005

Originally Posted by acecrackshot View Post
So, we hear about pilot shortages...what is the actual number of pilots looking for jobs at a major vs. number of open billets to be filled?

Has anyone ever heard an actual number, as in considered current, qualified and competitive for the process? The last real number I've heard was from a source at Alaska, who I would deem had access to the information, that the number had ranged from 1500 4 years ago to 1000 or so, two years ago.

Obviously, since the qualifications by airline vary, the qualifications that make you most competitive vary so much, not every applicant applies for every position, etc., the equation would have lots slop baked into the pie from the start.

So, any estimates ranging from the known number of applications on file to a semi-educated guess?
Currently SWA has 2,400 qualified applicants on file. Qualified meaning those with 1,000 hours TPIC. It's my understanding that they used to have about 6,000 qualified applicants on file at any given time. Given the fact they intend to hire 780 pilots in 2017 and 1,000 in 2018 that 2,400 number is going to be reduced rapidly, especially when you consider those same 2,400 pilots are probably on file with AA, UAL, DAL, UPS and FedEx. I posted this in another thread but I heard from a reliable source that the 1,000 TPIC requirement will be officially changed to 1,000 TPIC preferred soon.

When you consider at SWA they have dropped the 737 type rating requirement and soon they will drop the 1,000 TPIC requirement I believe it indicates a pilot shortage is forming up. Does anyone have any data from their respective company in this regard?