Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
I was getting Starbucks and the couple in front of me started chatting me up in the line. They get to the front and order and they insist on buying me whatever I want. Cool! So I take them up on it, and simply order a normal coffee worth about $3. I thank them profusely, and even ask if they happen to be on my flight so I could perhaps make sure they get taken care of. Of course they aren't, but oh well. I tried.

So here's the TOTD: I'm at the table putting cream into my coffee while a Starbucks employee is refilling napkins and such and he says to me, "You know bro. When someone does something nice for me, I usually reciprocate and do something nice for someone else. That's how society works dude." It took a second to process what he was saying. What?! I realized by his tone of voice he was basically calling me out and saying I was a big jerk. What was I suppose to do? Buy coffee for the next guy, and then he do the same? When does it end? Do the next 20 people in line have to do it now, meaning someone is going to be the jerk eventually. Am I the tool for not buying coffee now? I'll admit it didn't even cross my mind. (queue Curb Your Enthusiasm theme)
Correct answer:

"Dude...I know you probably didn't cover this in your "All men are pigs" or your "White Privilege is Wrong" 3 credit hour classes, and your mom probably doesn't have time to come down to the basement and explain it to you, but I am a pilot. I pick up USA Today from an airplane seat when someone else is done with it. I take soap home from the hotel room, and even the coffee filter packets. I'll stand in the rain for 20 minutes for a free airport shuttle to avoid paying a 4 dollar taxi ride to the hotel, and you expect me to buy someone a 6 dollar Latte?