View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 AM
FlyingPoke
I'm here to help...

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by steamgauges View Post
Agreed. If you can get a window seat, why come to the FAA? Me, I have 30+ years 121 so I'm burned out on the schedule, TSA, etc. and don't care much about flying anymore.

But when I go to OKC and see 30-40 year olds who are giving up a fun life and millions in career earnings to sit in a cube I SMH.
As one of those 30-somethings, maybe I can help shed some light on my situation, which seems to be a trend among my young peers in the FAA.

I am very aware of the fact that I am giving up a hefty amount of money for a not-so-glamorous desk job. However, while money is important in life, it is not my top priority in this grand scheme of life. The sacrifice in money is allowing me to have time with my family, moments no amount of money will ever be able to recreate or replace. Money is nice, but I value this time just a much as a +1 at the top of my retirement fund. Also, I disagree on the airline life being all that fun. Different strokes, but some people like myself realise we love aviation but not the lifestyle of being a professional pilot. This job is a decent means of staying involved in aviation without the sacrifices required by the pilot profession.

Hope that keeps you from getting a crick in your neck with all the head shaking. [emoji3]