View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 PM
RxPilot
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I took my first lesson at 14. I earned my first dollar as a CFI at 20. I worked as a CFI, Bush pilot, Forest service wild-land firefighting pilot, corporate jet and medevac pilot and finally as a regional and LCC pilot. During the entire time I averaged 14K per year and moved perhaps 14 to 16 times. During my best and last year I earned $42,500 as a 757 FO.

Hotel rooms got old fast and I would daydream about owning a home and building a real life with the money to properly fuel it. I was poor. Flying was often boring and the airlines lacked any opportunities for creativity and personal growth. Management at all levels treated pilots like filth. I felt like my life was rotting away in FBO waiting rooms and in crummy hotels.

I had always suspected the the rest of the world made much more money than I and had better working conditions. By 36 years old I had been a professional pilot for 16 years when I was laid off. I couldn't stomach the prospect of going back to 18K per year and another move to another miserable place.

The government was offering one year of unemployment insurance at $1300 per month and funds to retrain if I wished. I used the opportunity to start a new life and for the first time now know what it is like to really live. You can start over. During the last 4 years I have made more money than my entire pilot career combined and continue to enjoy increasing returns. I am living the life I always dreamed of and havent stayed in a hotel room in years.

Dreams do come true.

SkyHigh
First hand accounts like this scares me. However, there's a strong desire to fulfill being a professional pilot, a feeling that won't go away. So I too am pursuing a pilot career at almost 40yr of age. I realize I'll have to take an 80% paycut from my current career, but It's a race against time for me, and I don't want to regret not having done it when I'm on my death bed.