View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 AM
Bilsch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: FAA ATSI VSRP ERC

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
To each his own... You have the typical "narrow" view of what goes on. There are lots of different and interesting positions within the agency that involve more than SAS, sitting in a cubicle 24/7 or certificate oversight. There are positions that include hands-on simulator time, instrument flight procedure validations, flight inspection, NextGen work etc... I think it takes a certain type of person that desires to learn and be more involved. I have learned more about aviation in the past 10years with the agency than I have ever learned in 20years of "flyng the line". Sitting in the pointy end of the jet, I knew very little about TERPS, Airport Design, Flight Procedure Design, Obstruction Evaluation, ERAM, ERIDS, etc.. It is quite interesting to me what all goes on behind the scenes to make one (1) standard Part 97 instrument procedure. It's great to have more career choices than just seat, equipment, Dom/Intl and base IMHO.
^^^ This is why I chose the FAA ^^^

I worked in majors through the LBO's of the late 80's early 90's. Worked with many EAL victims picked up after the strike. Laid off briefly during SARS. Paycuts, 9/11, then the NWA AMFA strike led to my departure.

Now I have worked at an ARTCC, large & small ATCT as Technician & Manager, AVS/oversight of the NAS/Air Traffic & airports, and now VSRP.

There are so many options across various LOB's and locales. It is also a great place to work & like the airlines, the FAA is a small world.