View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 03:14 AM
Hawaiiankine808
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by Ortizjr View Post
This seems like a nightmare. I was considering this option since they hire foreigners with 1000 hours and I do speak Spanish, but now after reading this thread I don't know.

Few questions though?
1) Approx how much will license conversion cost?
2) So the type rating they pay for? And what do you mean the type rating you get out there isn't valid in the US?
3) What would be the best option for a CFI with 1000 hours, just continue to 1500 and join regionals?
1. I forgot the exact amount but i believe what was quoted in the last post was correct. Its a complete ripoff. Don't forget you have to get a new medical down there which is a complete pain. You have to goto the AAC office to get the form then take it to the doctor. After he does the exam you then have to take the medical back to the AAC for a damn stamp to make it official. Apply this logic or lack there of to everything you do in Panama.

2. Yes Copa pays for the AAC SIC type rating. Its not valid in the U.S. because its not a FAA 737 type that you have its an AAC type. If you want it to transfer to your FAA license you are going to have to pay on average around 10-14K at a training center in the states and do the check ride as if it was an initial PC.

3. If your goal is flying for a major yes i would goto a regional. Like others and myself have said Copa is not worth the headache.

Also I have not seen any U.S pilot hired at 1000 hours and I don't know if i would risk it at that level. The training is pretty tough and pretty much self taught. when you goto sim you are expected to show them how to do the maneuvers when you get there. They are not there to show you how to do it. You might get shown it maybe once before you are expected to perform and they don't have a high tolerance for foreign pilots failing. Each session felt like a mini check ride.