View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Eck4Life
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

If you participate in GA flying only that might scratch the flying itch, but you'd still be slaving away in a job you said you will hate shortly.

Not sure why people are saying 121 flying is a hassle. I can't think of a flying situation that has less strings attached. I show up, I fly, have a couple cold ones on the layover (beach preferably), and go home. I don't file a flight plan, load bags, fuel the plane, arrange lodging, arrange transportation, put the airplane in the hangar, schedule maintenance, etc. I have a company email address that I haven't used in YEARS. I literally don't know what my password is. I haven't cared to seek out the name of my base chief pilot and he wouldn't know me either (thankfully) if we passed each other on the street.

I'd say give it a shot. The regionals are tough, but once you get to a destination major airline, life is not good, but great. At my company, we have a sim ride that is a 2 day event every 9 months and recurrent training every quarter that takes about 1.5 hrs on my computer in my t-shirt and boxers at the layover hotel. It's all considered work and therefore we're paid for our time. Pretty low in the hassle dept to me. Get to a major and you can bring home some good money, control your schedule to make it amazingly flexible, and you can even live where you want if you're willing to commute a few times per month. Some are even able to only have to commute 1 per month depending on aircraft and trip length.

I look at it this way when I'm in the back of the airplane getting deadheaded somewhere. I look around at the other passengers. All the corporate types are furiously typing away on their laptops even when stuck in a tube with "nothing" to do. Myself and the other deadheading pilots are sleeping, doing the crossword, or watching a movie.... That's about all there is to say.

PS- Forgot to add another biggy. No company politics. The seniority system ensures that everyone has fair ups when it comes to moving to the left seat or to the more desirable aircraft. If you don't like someone just bid around him/her and never talk to them again.