View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 04:37 AM
tom11011
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by nmarconato View Post
Thank you. And thanks for sharing your experience. Good points.

We have different users and user experiences on the site, I'll do more research and see what I (and the site) can do for you/your experience. Will get back to you soon, I have a few ideas, but I'd like to review and be comprehensive.

Last question for you: what device(s) do you usually browse the site w/?

Generally speaking though, and back to the original topic, I am more interested in users coming back to the site.

Page views is sometimes tricky to decipher because a decrease in PVs may sometimes be the result of a better user experience. How so? If the user finds what the user needs easily, than it takes fewer clicks per session, as such fewer PVs per session. Is this bad? I don't think so.

I'll do more research and I'll get back to you soon. Bestest. N
To answer your direct question, I would estimate that 70% of the time that I visit this site, I use a good old fashion computer with web browser. The other 30% I would be on my cell phone.

If I may ask, why did you make the change to begin with?

Lastly, I want to supply a little information about the users of this site (as I see it) to help you better understand us. This is not all encompassing. Pilots who work at the regional airlines are trying to get to the major airlines. In doing so, some pilots will quit their job at a regional and go to work at another regional if it is perceived that will help them on their journey to get to a major quicker. Pilots at regionals might have a preference for which major they want to work at, but generally will go to the first major to offer them the job (there is only a handful of choices so you generally do not say no when offered). This is why I'm a little skeptical about the website change, regional pilots generally want to keep informed as to what is going on at all the majors and will click interesting topics if they see them. They also participate in other regional airline topics.

Major airline pilots want to forget as quick as possible their regional experience and will generally never look back to the regional forum, maybe every once in a while for some nostalgia. Basically, the entire regional section is dead to the major airline pilot since they have made it. A newly hired major pilot may linger for a few months, but that generally goes away pretty quick.

In summary, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people who come to this forum do not know what they are looking for most of the time. It's not like a search engine where you type in a topic and get zeroed in to what you are looking for immediately. They come here to waste a little time, blow off a little steam, and participate in interesting topics as they come up.

Another thing I just thought of is these changes may also mean that a user spends less time on the site as well.

And this reminds me of another topic to bring up since you are listening. The vast majority of the ads I'm seeing is for ads that basically entice a user to "come work at our regional airline". These ads are fine in the regional forum. But they are the wrong ad in the major forum. A major airline pilot working for United, Delta, American, Southwest etc.. has made it. They are NEVER going to click an ad enticing them to go backwards and work for a regional. Its a waste to show those ads there. You should be showing ads for expensive toys and hobbies as they now have large dollars to part with.