Old 03-21-2006, 04:40 PM
AUS_ATC
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Austin Tower
Default FAA 7110.65 Wake Turbulence Separation Standards

FlyerJosh,

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh
I know that many controllers get nervous with the Citation that I fly- flew into atlanta a few times last week and I don't think that we had any closer than 4 miles separation, and the controllers kept slowing us down. As long as I'm not behind a heavy or a 757, I have no problem with 3 miles as long as I can see the traffic and have an ILS to the runway.
According to our rulebook (FAA Order 7110.65R), we must ensure that 4 miles radar separation exists between your Citation and any large aircraft at the time that the large aircraft is over the landing threshold. This separation standard applies even if the preceding traffic is landing on a parallel runway that is separated by less than 2,500 feet.
Paragraph 5-5-4(f) from the 7110.65 describes the separation standard for small aircraft behind other Large, B757 and Heavy aircraft:

TERMINAL. In addition to subpara e, separate an aircraft landing behind another aircraft on the same runway, or one making a touch-and-go, stop-and-go, or low approach by ensuring the following minima will exist at the time the preceding aircraft is over the landing threshold:

NOTE-
Consider parallel runways less than 2,500 feet apart as a single runway because of the possible effects of wake turbulence.

1. Small behind large- 4 miles.

2. Small behind B757- 5 miles.

3. Small behind heavy- 6 miles.
Of course, if ya see the traffic and want the Visual Approach, then all bets are off!

Paragraph 5-5-4(e) covers the standards for other aircraft conducting an instrument approach:
Separate aircraft operating directly behind, or directly behind and less than 1,000 feet below, or following an aircraft conducting an instrument approach by:

NOTE-
Consider parallel runways less than 2,500 feet apart as a single runway because of the possible effects of wake turbulence.

1. Heavy behind heavy- 4 miles.

2. Large/heavy behind B757- 4 miles.

3. Small behind B757- 5 miles.

4. Small/large behind heavy - 5 miles.
This document may be viewed at the following FAA site: http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/INDEX.HTM

MEM_ATC