View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Fourpaw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Airplane

We would definitely not buy a new car.

While I can put 12-15k on a used car right now, I don't want to because it will eat into our 6 month cash reserve, i.e. Savings.

One option I've considered is a loan but paying it off over the course of one year instead of five. I've been making extra payments on my house. I could switch to the car instead.

Either way...I found the OEM Mopar sensors on eBay. They cost substantially more but are factory parts.

I can't stand taking the cars into mechanics. I feel we get screwed every time, hence why I have learned how to do all my own work. I am capable of doing the head gaskets myself but the real issue comes down to time with my current upgrade. It would take a shop probably 3-5 days to complete with sending the heads off. It will take me probably 2-3 weeks doing it part time. I have all the tools just not the time. Cheapest quote I could find was $1800 with no valve job on the heads. For me to do it, it would cost around $500.

I went to a dealer and test drove a car and got a quote for $1200 trade in value on my Subaru! I know private party is higher but with leaking head gaskets I don't know...

Thanks for all the great replies.