View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 12:27 AM
LastXdeth
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2017
Default Young Marine Considering a Pilot Career?

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.

Being an airline pilot career has always been my passionate career goal since I was 5. Now, I am a 23 year old single man, about to finish my enlistment in the US Marine Corps, but in a serious dilemma that involves following my cliche passion, or diverting to another career path.

In the Marine Corps, I have done three years as a MV-22 Osprey crew chief (aircrew) and about to finish two years as a cyber network operator (equivalent to a civilian computer networks administrator). I've done quite a lot of research in the civilian job market and I discovered that the airline industry is not as luxurious as it once was. You start out making the same as a garbage man, the cost of training is high and time consuming, and the industry is extremely competitive.

On the computer side, you can start out making twice as much, and training only requires a few certifications, and there is always demand and job opportunities for computers and technology.

However, I am extremely reluctant on throwing my longest-term goal down the drain. Money and luxury has never been a priority for me, but I notice it becoming more important to my family as I transition into the civilian world.

However, in defense of the aviation career path, the military will be able to pay for a 4-year aviation degree program with flight at Middle Georgia State University using Post 9/11 GI Bill. I am not currently in debt, and I am not shamed to admit to say that I have supportive parents that can provide a safety net for me if all things fail.

As I grown man, I do not allow others to make decisions for me, but I would appreciate some personal perspective on whether pursuing an airline pilot career is worth it, judging from my situation.