View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 02:15 AM
NatGeo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

If you are 23 and single then now is the time to take a risk. How come you did not fly in the military?

You will probably come out of your 4 year aviation program with 250 hours. To get a first officer job you need at least 500 hours. That means you will have to spend at least 250 hours instructing. Getting to 250 hours will probably take you 6 months.

Instructing makes you a better pilot, but your goal should be to get into a First Officer job at 500 hours. That is where the real learning starts. There are multiple companies that will hire pilots with 500 hours, Tradewind, Cape Air, and Air Choice One are some of the big ones.

The best by far jobs website for aviation is climbto350.com Once you graduate your 4 year program you definitely want to sign up for a subscription to 350. It is only $69 a year and it will be the best $69 you ever spend.

From 500-1200 hrs is going to take time and you will not make very much. Your hours and work conditions will be tough. That 700 hours will probably take a couple years. You should get a part time computer job with flexible hours to make life a little more comfortable dollar wise.

1200 hours is where the real fun starts. (Look to see if your university has a restricted ATP program. If it does, then you can get a big jump on a lot of other pilots who have to rack up 1500 hours before they can work for a Part 121 carrier.) From 1200-1500 hours I recommend getting a single pilot freight job. Handling all the decisions on your own will make you a way better pilot down the road.

So, all in all, you are looking at around 7-8 years before you can make $100,000. In a computer job I am sure that timeline is way quicker.

My advice is to follow your dream, but get a good part time computer job that you can do while you are going to school and racking up hours. That way you will not have to eat as many ramen noodles.