View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Adanac
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by countruben1 View Post
Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone here could please provide me some advice on the application with AA.

First, my background. I’m a retired Air Force pilot and former KC-135 qualified Aircraft Commander (PIC). I have two Boeing type ratings. I haven’t flown in nearly seven years, but recently got hired by a regional (Part 121) carrier and have accumulated a little over 40 hours with them thus far.

I think I may have a potential problem/roadblock on my application as it asks if we’ve ever been sent to a military Flying Evaluation Board (FEB) and/or ever lost flying status for whatever reason. In all honesty and to be technically correct, I would have to answer yes—After I left the KC-135 community, I was sent to train to “fly” the MQ-1B Predator (drone). I made it through training with no problems. However, as I was going through their MQT program (a type of IOE, OJT training) I had some difficulties (many of which I felt were beyond my control) and didn’t perform well. In fact, they decided to pull me out of training and sent me to an FEB.

The FEB concluded that there were numerous problems with my unit’s training program and recommended that I be reinstated and go back through training. I was in fact reinstated. I would think it’s important to note in my application that 1) this wasn’t for a “real” aircraft’s training program and that 2) I was in fact reinstated due to what I mentioned. My concern is that if I answer “yes” to that question, the recruiter(s) or whoever reads these might automatically trash my app since I answered yes. I’m wondering if I should just be honest and give the same explanation I gave here or answer “no” (dare I say “white lie”), but then try to give an explanation in an interview if I ever get offered one?

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and I eagerly look forward to contributing and flying with you one day.

Sincerely,

Ruben
I would answer "yes" and write down the story you just gave us. Does it give you an option to do so?

I know Delta just changed a question on their application because many people were showin up to the interview having marked "no, I have not failed anything" and later not getting the job because in the interview they tried to explain away why their "no" was actually in fact a "yes" that needed further explanation

It's a good idea to hire FAPA, cage, or any of those consulting advisors BEFORE you get the interview so you do all this correctly.

Hope that helps.