View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by The Count View Post
Fellow aviators,

First off, thank you in advance for the assistance/advice. I've combed the forums on this site and I've found a lot of military guys in similar positions: flew military for about 15 years, but will be retiring from a non-flying gig. In other words, a good amount of experience, but won't have recency when retiring. Another commonality with these pilots is that they don't have their ATP. I haven't found, however, a lot of discussion regarding military pilots who are retiring from a non-flying job that have their ATP already. In that vein...

...I'm a fighter guy that knocked out the ATP before the rules change, but will retire after serving 3 years non-flying (2100 TT, of which 1500 are F-16 hours). So, the question for the forum, what is the temperature of the water out there with the majors (or cargo) regarding mil pilots with their ATP, but that don't have recency?

Thanks!
-Count
It's possible, but isn't common AFAIk. I believe most places want to see 100hrs in the last 12 months, with outliers like SWA accepting 2 of the last 5 years flying...

Plan on sucking it up at the regionals for 6-18 months depending on how quickly you build whatever the majors decide they want for currency. Figure out where you want to live and then start zeroing in on the regionals with bases close by.