View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Joshua19 View Post
Thanks for the advice. The ISR company would hire based upon total time at a reduced salary until qualified. I have already done 6 yrs between Iraq and Afghanistan. If I did go ISR would I be giving up a great opportunity with regionals right now with 2-3 yr upgrades and potential maybe, to go to the majors?
There are two ISR companies that offer SIC Programs- L3 and Avenge.

FYSA, Avenge only pays 2/3 of what L3 does and last time I checked expected double the commitment.

At PIC pay you'll make more $$$ at the ISR contractors, however at SIC pay it becomes more of a wash financially the first several years between going ISR and going to a regional with a 12 month upgrade to Captain and making yourself competitive for the majors ASAP after you're hired on.

I WOULD NOT recommend you go to Avenge.

Most ISR pilots last a year to 18 months before they move on to do something else. If you decide you want to give an airline pilot a shot, your best bet is to sign on to one of AAs wholly owned regionals with a fast upgrade to line holding captain (Piedmont, PSA and Envoy in that order) and flow (Piedmont, Envoy and PSA in order of current quickness), now. That way you can beef up your resume and apply to all of the majors within the first year (places like JetBlue and Hawaiian will accept helicopter time). Worse case you flow to American Airlines.