View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM
trashhauler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: B-777

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
The reason I'm letting YOU enlighten us about the job is because YOU are the one who rolled in on Adlerdriver claiming he didn't know anything he was talking about and you VOLUNTEERED -- all caps.

I'm not saying there was no work involved, or even that pilots don't benefit from the work. I won't even quibble with you over the use of volunteer vs. paid worker -- nobody should suffer financially because of union work. However, the work is not unpaid, and it does come with certain perks. It also involves working closely with The Company month in and month out, and there are limits to what you can do to fix pairings or build lines. When The Company says it can't be fixed, you have to accept that and move on. While we can refuse to agree on a section of the CBA during Section 6 negotiations, we can't refuse to publish a bid period package.

So, if you think Adlerdriver was incorrect in his observation, instead of getting your nose bent out of joint because you VOLUNTEERED, please tell us about the work of that group and how the skills transfer to the Negotiating Committee. All 4 of the Negotiating Committee members who brought us this CBA were children of the PSIT.

Tony first off,my nose wasn't bent out of shape. Wether you get paid or not, you have to first volunteer to get into that position. As we all know Tony, the vast majority of pilots never volunteer for anything in the union throughout their career. Everybody has the same option if they think somebody is getting a good deal to apply, volunteer for that position. Like I said, in my opinion, the compensation for what I did on the PSIT was definitely not the reason of why I did it. I would think that would vary depending on the person. I felt an obligation to do something for our union and that's where I ended up for whatever reason. I really wasn't seeking it out.

As for PSIT members being on the negotiating committee, I don't know wether that makes you more or less qualified to do the job. I think that at least lends to you knowing more about that section. Aren't all the members of negotiating committee voted on by the MEC? If they didn't want all the members to be prior PSIT, why did they approve them? As you also know Tony, the negotiating committee doesn't negotiate whatever they want. They get their marching orders from the MEC. They have some latitude obviously, but in the end, the MEC votes on wether to approve whatever the negotiating committee brings to them. Also, the pilot group makes the final decision. We can beat this into the ground all day long, and the results will not change. Maybe it's time to move forward and hope we can actually unite. Not holding my breath!