View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Privateer383
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: New hire 135 airline pilot
Default RotorHeads Anonymous at Horizon Air???

Hello. I'm Privateer383 and I'm a RotorHead.

Yes, it's true. AND, I actually think we helo guys are ideally suited to fly the Q400. We're very hands-on, not intimidated by "slow" speeds, and are accustomed to training for much more severe "asymmetrical" thrust emergencies than are likely to be encountered in any fixed-wing (unless, of course, one wing becomes "un-fixed").

As a former military RW pilot I meet most of the R-ATP requirements, and have RW-ME turbine time which means I'm already very familiar with turbine systems, and SE procedures and power management. But I am a mere 96 hours short of FW-PIC time, and 7 hours short on FW-ME time. It's not much, but I would sure appreciate some corporate assistance for these last 103 hours (anyone have a J-3 I can rent really cheap?), in exchange for a "time at company" contract, or payback from sign-on bonus, or whatever.

As mentioned by others, there are several east coast 121 operations well-equipped to get guys like me in their cockpits, for which I'm grateful. However, I'm a west-coast guy who doesn't want to spend two-thirds of my off days commuting to and from work. Thus far I've not seen ANY rotorwing transition programs with regional airlines having west coast domiciles. (Perhaps I've overlooked them???).

I've heard rumors of a RW transition program being developed at Horizon. Does anyone have the inside scoop on this?