View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 10:35 AM
my6FOh
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by Gasfiltered View Post
I'm in a similar situation and I tend to agree. I don't really see the distinction. It's OK to pay for your PPL, OK to pay for your Instrument, OK to pay for your commercial time-building hours, OK to pay for your CPL, OK to pay for your CFI/CFII/MEI, but suddenly it's a cardinal sin to pay for your ATP? ATP has become the default minimum standard to obtain reasonable employment; for some of us, time is a real issue. Would those of you who are against it be similarly against someone who happened to have used a Baron or Cheyenne as personal transport for a few years and paid for every hour?

Some of these places offer the opportunity to train on turbine equipment in a real line-flying environment with all the attendant operational challenges. Compared to 1200 hours of crash-n-dashes in a 172 the person who did p2p is FAR more qualified in every respect. To suggest that instructing, as fulfilling as it is, provides anywhere near the exposure to flying in real weather with real deadlines everyday, is ludicrous. That experience is what regionals, freight companies, and corporate flight departments need. When they look at an applicant that already has experience on complex equipment in an operational environment, they see a tiny fraction of the risk that their training dollars will be wasted on someone who can't pass indoc; they see someone who will have little trouble being immediately effective rather than needing 100 hours to get used to line flying.

If you have a lot of debt or will need to go into debt to make it work, p2p may not be for you, there is nothing wrong with that and the instructing/survey/diver/banner route is well established. There is also nothing wrong with folks paying for the training and experience required to get an ATP in the same exact way they paid for the training and experience to get a CPL.
You're confusing paying to sit right seat in a metro with paying for flight training. The reason this is looked down on is because if there weren't people paying to be fo's then the company would pay a pilot to sit right seat in that plane. Paying for that turbine time is just letting everyone know what a sucker you are.