Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 PM
kukailimoku
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Young&dumb ANG pilot select looking for advic

I was recently selected by the 199th in Hawaii to fly F22s in the ANG. I am extremely excited to serve my country and doing it in this capacity and in this location is an absolute dream. I am asking for any advice this board is willing to offer. I'll be the first to admit I've got the blinders on when it comes to this opportunity and I am looking for some advice and help in taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture of my overall aviation career - there's a lot of danger in not knowing what you don't know.

What can I be doing now, during the 6-12 month lull before OTS, to better myself and further my career as both an officer and pilot?

What are things you wish you had known or started doing earlier in your career?

Is there anything in particular I should know regarding my future airframe in relation to how it can affect my overall aviation career? (e.g. does the multi time count toward requirements, etc.)

Are there any particulars I should be aware of now when it comes to preparing for a career with the airlines in the future? I'm not sure this is the eventual route I want to go and it's a long time away from now, but I don't want to dismiss the airlines while I'm young just to be kicking myself in the future.

Any other aviation items I should consider? I love flying and want to make the most of this and any other opportunities, and hopefully help/serve/train others along the way.