View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Turboprop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by WSPLT View Post
I have used my flight benefits extensively. There is a lot of strategy involved with non-rev flying, but if you're smart about it and actually use them, it's an amazing benefit.

First, you can obviously jump seat on almost any domestic flight on almost any airline if you're by yourself, and it doesn't cost a thing. If you want to bring your family, you can all non-rev travel for free on any Alaska branded flight, including ones operated by Horizon or SkyWest. This also extends to your spouse, children, and your parents (not your in-laws). You also get 20 buddy passes per year which allows others to buy standby tickets for cheap on Alaska flights, or they can fly with you for free.

You can also utilize what are called Zed fares, and purchase very cheap standby tickets on almost any airline for you or your family only. You are a lower priority than most other folks trying to get on the flight, so again, strategy is key. You can get a full refund very easily if you change your mind, even afterward, so I often will buy a couple different tickets and refund the ones I don't use. This is a great way to get overseas, or places Alaska doesn't fly. As an example, two of you can fly from SEA to Tokyo or Amsterdam for around $450 round trip, though some of the airports have pretty substantial fees for departures, which the airline passes to you. Think London & Paris. Amsterdam is a bit more reasonable.

I have traveled overseas, as well as quite a bit within the US on several different airlines, both with and without my family. It all boils down to your attitude and how much preparation you put into it. Take the early flights, don't fly during peak times (spring break, christmas, etc.) and have numerous backup plans in case you don't get on the flight. When I have traveled with my kid, we have never had any trouble sitting together. If the gate agent can't arrange it, I just get my kid to ask the other passenger to switch with me, never fails!
since Alaska owns Horizon, can a Horizon pilot jumpseat international with Alaska on the actual jumpseat? Envoy an American are allowed.