View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 06:50 AM
amcnd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by DashAviator View Post
I listened to the "Pilot Chat" on August 22. If I recall correctly, the E175 Portland satellite base is to be opened for a only few months on a trial basis. In other words, you could bid the jet and not even finish training before the Portland satellite base was closed.

If the company really wanted to get more pilots to bid the jet, then they'd open a "real" E175 base in Portland. Many of the former CRJ700 captains are extremely senior (think 25+ years) and many have served as check airmen. I mention the "check airman" thing because we're apparently really short of simulator instructors and IOE instructors right now. In fact, I suspect that one major reason for the Portland satellite base is for the convenience of flight training and management flying.

In other news, fifteen of our oldest Q400's are in the process of finishing up 40,000-cycle checks, to the tune of nearly two million each. You don't do expensive maintenance on planes that are about to be parked, so what's the game plan? I can think of three possible options:

(1) Keep 'em and fly 'em.
(2) Sell them, or
(3) Keep the older paid-for planes and sell or return some of the newer ones.

Any theories?
Are the planes "leased" then yes you would have to do the check.. or be in breach of the lease contract...