View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM
ptarmigan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain

Originally Posted by cougar View Post
Nailed it. When reading a book it is a good idea to know the author's intent or reason for writing the book. I tend to suspect an agenda when every post has a link to purchase the book along with a resume.
Obviously the agenda is to draw attention to the issue and the book, which is why I took on the task. Sadly, too many have read the Vanity Fair article and perhaps even the report but let their own bias sneak into their view. It is all too easy to look at a situation in hindsight and see exactly where someone made the wrong choice. However, things are a lot tougher when in a situation.

Would it surprise the readers here the front-seaters of AF447 had sailplane and aerobatic experience? That they came from aviation families?

One thing that really came to light through some surveys discussed in the book was the gaping holes in average pilot knowledge out there. I addressed some of it in a previous blog article, but it is much worse than I imagined even for pilots with a lot of experience, military and civilian, and major airlines.

I fully agree with some of the points above on proficiency, but it is even worse than that. Of course, finding someone to admit they're not proficient, good luck with that!