View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
It is not so simple. How much stick time does ANYONE get above RVSM, or even above 20k? When was the last time YOU hand flew a jet at the cruise altitudes? Now what about with degraded flight controls? At night? In the weather? How much do you really know about how your airplane performs in a real stall at cruise altitude? How much do you really know about simulator modeling of dynamic events? How much do you really understand your aircraft systems? Weather radar? Reflectivity and VIL of convective weather in different regions of the world (does it vary?).

I wrote this book to address all of these issues and draw attention to them, and explain them. It is written such that even those without a technical background (cough, management, cough) can get it, hopefully.

Remember that old joke of glass airplane pilots, a new pilot says "what's it doing now?" while a senior pilot says "it does that sometimes..."? I submit to you that both cases are indicative of inadequate training.

On your last line, yep!
I understand you have a product to sell, I don't think you're gonna sell much in this thread

At many foreign airlines they actually have a hard written rule like no handflying above 10k (for example). There's no excuse for pulling the stick back and holding it there in the cruise flight levels.