View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 PM
flybot
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by lipsalmon View Post
I was recently hired into the UPS CMO to be the Dispatch ASI. I start October 30th. Just wondering what to expect over the first year and completing all my OJT items and OKC visits. Was also told when I interviewed in DEN that I would have a chance to negotiate my pay and other onboard perks like potentially relocation costs. But it looks like they are just saying I am starting as GS 12 step 1. Not sure if there was supposed to be an opportunity that I missed to negotiate something better?? I know the Dispatch ASI's are very few overall but is there anyone on here that knows anything specific about it? Or maybe know someone I can contact? I am very excited to get started and see all the various things I'll work with and be assigned... Is GS-13 a realistic expectation after 1-2 yrs? And further along, how bout GS 14 options?
Congrats on the hire! Starting out as a GS-12 is good. I have not heard of anyone really negotiating as a new hire. HR just doesnt need to in general. In addition, the positions are "written up" for a certain pay grade. They arent really able to make it higher without a lot of red tape. Most people that start out in a CMO as an GS-11. At least for the first year. As for what the first year is like (and this is the perspective of a CMO Ops guy) prepare to be bored for a little while. First, you wont have a computer for a week or so, at best. Then you have to get a zillion passwords up and running to log onto the software. But on top of all that, you wont have any idea how to do your job. The good news is- No one expects you to know anything- except how to be a dispatcher. So just sit back and relax, listen and learn. You will probably follow folks around a lot when they go to the Cert Airline. A few weeks or months after your in, expect to get two or more Oak City trips for your "string" training. After youre done with string you have a rather long OJT process. You should be fully up to speed and doing your own work after a year. At that point, you should expect a pay raise to GS-13. Although the last few years of budget turmoil can change things for better or worse. Its a great job if you value schedule flexibility. Just tough out the first 6 months to a year and you will be king of your domain- you will probably be the only dispatcher ASI on the office.