Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM
NorthTxFlyBoy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Citation X, SIC

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
Hi!

What I heard re NetJets:
The company was often losing money airlining guys out of a "base" when tickets from their home were cheaper (ex: CMH vs. DTW).

They were losing lots of new guys because of the 5 bases. Some came in and assumed the basing would change, and left because it didn't. Other guys thought the commute would be OK, but, when they actually tried it, over and over, they realized it was impractical and bailed.

Pilot Shortage:
There has been a shortage of pilots building for a while. It is becoming worse and worse monthly. I guarantee that NetJets was NOT getting the same number/quality of guys in the last 6 months that they were getting earlier. I heard they were short of their hiring goals for 2007, which greatly increased those needed in 2008, while hiring has been getting harder and harder.

I would guess that NetJets mgmt realized that an industry leading contract would suck up a number of guys from other fracs, thus increasing NetJets competitive position. Additionally, NetJets has ordered a TON of new aircraft, and needs a lot of pilots down the roads.

What NetJets mgmt is doing, is the opposite of AA mgmt, who, reportadly, has asked for a 20% paycut. They are oblivious to the hiring situation.

I think NetJets mgmt wants to increase their net profit. Often, to do this, you must spend more money to make money. I hope this contract passes and it works great for NetJets.

cliff
YIP
Cliff,
Don't believe all the rumors you hear. There aren't "lots of guys" leaving. A few have left, and I've only heard of two who left because of the commute. After all, we all knew about it when we got hired and didn't expect relief until at least 2010.

If the airline costs were the issue regarding domiciles, the company could have opened as many new domiciles as they chose, without even having to modify the 2005 contract. It would have also sucked any pre-contract pilots with Home Basing rights into the domicile if they lived within 90 miles of the new one(s) opened. They didn't have to give up anything for that.

As far as the pilot shortage, it hasn't hit NJA. Plenty of very qualifieds applicants waiting for an interview. I've even sponsored a couple who are still waiting for a call. Are we getting the most qualified applicants? Maybe not, if money is their biggest motivation. The chairman has said he wants the world's best pilots at NetJets, so part of the big FO raise may be a carrot to get the most qualified.

Another thing you have to remember is that the previous FO pay scales were written when upgrades to captain took maybe 12-18 months. Nobody expected for an FO to have to live on FO pay for 5 or more years. That necessitated another look at the FO pay scales.

-NTFB