Thread: Grant Aviation
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 PM
lraber33
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Tater023 View Post
Thanks for the advice Sanguy. I'm probably at least 2 years out. Just starting IFR and building hours towards commercial. Hoping to land in Alaska from Wisconsin with a wet CPL and start a different career for myself once I have the IFR and CPL. Thinking about part 135 places like Grant, Hageland, Ryan, etc. Currently in Law Enforcement and looking for a change, just as many others are. The LE job has just become too corrosive for my liking and looking for a change. No desire to fly the heavy metal...at 42 I'm not sure I have the stamina for that type of career progression and I applaud you young guys who do all all the BS it takes to get there. Go for it! Me, I'm just looking to fly, experience new adventures, and get paid to do it. The only thing is the standard of living I've built for myself and I just cringe at the paycut of starting over. I've been fortunate enough to pay for all of my training and flight time with just my yearly overtime. If I could make $75 to $90,000 somewhere after a handful of years flying with them I'd be happy. It may just be a pipedream but I love flying and it will still be fun trying to get there, even if it doesn't happen.

A LOT of good insight on this forum and I think a lot of us not very familiar with aviation as a career really appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Bill
You could make $75-$95k flying for Grant after a few years quite easily. Kinda crazy because 135 pilots up in Alaska can make more than pilots at most 121 regionals and some 121 majors. If you started in the Airvan or 207 you would make approx $4400 your first month and that is if you sat and didn't fly for the entire two weeks. Bonus is you get two weeks off every month. Flying out in Western AK is very different flying but for the right pilot it can be amazing. It is hard work. You have to load and unload your plane, fuel your plane, clean your plane and sometimes even manage the station. The actual flying can be pretty challenging too so know your limits.

The 207 and GA8 are VFR planes so you don't need the IFR 135 mins until you get put in the 208 or the Ho.

Depending on where you are the living conditions aren't spectacular but I like to think of it like a pilot frat house. DO NOT expect the Ritz Carlton, or even the Holiday Inn (or even Motel 6 for that matter). That being said, I have seen much worse places! Have not heard any stories of bed bugs yet.

Food out in the bush is expensive so a lot of pilots bring a cooler with full of food from home so that they don't need to go to the grocery store in Bethel and spend $15 for a gallon of milk.