View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by MikeDD
Thanks for the help everyone!

I am looking to train full time. I live in Hawaii and am eager to get going to the mainland around May. The large schools I have looked into and talked with are RAA, Delta Academy, Pan Am, ATP and a few others. I can sum them all up as too expensive. My goal here is not to be 40,000 in debt when I finish. The 40,000 I have should be enough to get me through all the ratings. I would be most interested in finding a nice flight school in the Midwest or anywhere that has a cheap cost of living, lower fuel prices and knowledgeable instructors.

Mike
Mike:

I, too, am in the same shoes as you are. The research that I have done is as follows:

Local FBO
PPL to Comm w/I - 20K-25K; transfer to flight academy-CFI to MEI, another 30K. You've spent approx 50K to 55K at that point...w/o housing.

My plans are to do the flight academy up to CFII/MEI @ about 42K to 50K--which includes housing. Schools such as ATP and DCA, I believe, may fall into this category. Shoot, get FS if you can. The less you have to pay for outta pocket expenses the better off you will be.

Last edited by atpwannabe; 03-25-2006 at 07:21 AM.