View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM
captain_drew
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: FredEx Captain-Retired

Originally Posted by rheidorn
Ok so I'm pretty gun ho on making aviation my career. Im a newbee CFI and although the pay sucks and friends of mine who have *&% for brains are making more money than I am, I'm still having the time of my life and cant wait for the next day. Money, although important to me is not my real drive. I know weird, but true. If I win millions of $ tomorrow I would still fly and continue the path for commercial aviation. AM I CRAZY?
No. . I would say that you have "it" . . what it takes to chart the course and stick with it. . to a rewarding end. The guy who occupies the left seat of the 'heavy' at Brand X airline started with visions of flight and just kept slogging on.

What you are doing is called 'dues paying' and they don't reimburse you well for that. I never wanted to fly to get rich or even make a lot of money. It just worked out that way. You wake up some morning and realize .. after your latest upgrade . .“holy @#$#$ . . they are paying me a LOT to do this!" Airline captains make a lot of money, even with recent pay cuts. If they are savvy, they even get to keep some of it.

Doing something you really love is the most important thing. If you do. . it doesn't seem much like work. So. . you are about as crazy as everyone who preceded you.