View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Pokeysrider
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Default Airspeed, av gas and money are what you need

Those rates you quoted are lower than most, for sure. Another question for them is if those aircraft are equipped and current for IFR?
Here's the deal, you need to get to 1500 hours as a commercial instrument rated multiengine pilot with at least 50 ME and 100 instrument time. Here's the order:
Private
Instrument
Commercial SE
(This is the point that you start and complete your initial CFI training, if you can't afford to pay for your own flight time to get to 1500)
Multi (as an add-on to your commercial certificate, requiring less time than doing a private multi, then commercial multi).
ATP and some others, right or wrong, skip the commercial SE and you do all of your commercial training in a multi. In my opinion, this is a ploy to extract more money from you, in the form of multiengine timebuilding. Many regionals will hire you with 25 ME and let you build the rest in sims on their nickle, so why pay your training provider for that time?
Lastly, consider working as an instructor at a flight school with a flow. Envoy has a cool program where you actually work for them as an instructor, with a participating flight school acting as a middleman, turning your time card to Envoy, for their payment to you (with full Envoy benefits).
Since they are owned by AA, it's a direct path from a C152 into a regional jet then into a mainline.
If you do choose flight instruction, be sure to do it in an area with good flying weather year 'round and choose a busy school. Make the right choices and you could be in the right seat of a regional jet in less than two years, if the industry is in the same place as it is now.
If you can afford it, skip the flight school, buy an aircraft in good mechanical condition and fly your way to 1500 hours.
Good luck!