View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 AM
PotatoChip
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by jdebrey View Post
Hey guys, I'm in an aviation careers planning class and have an assignment where I need these questions answered.

Professor said about a paragraph per question.

This would be a huge help to me.

Thanks, John

The purpose of this interview will be to discuss training at their 121 carrier. Be sure to include the following:

1. Can you briefly describe the types of training you received from the first day you showed up at your current company until you were fully line qualified?
Indoc. Two weeks. Fairly poorly taught. Systems. Two weeks. Appallingly bad. People who knew very little about the airplane reading slides. Flat-panel Trainer. Five days, taught by someone who recently left a different airline and couldn't remember which we way the new company did things... bad. Simulator. Two weeks. 10 sims. Too many. IOE.
2. What was the most challenging part of your training and how did you overcome those challenges?
The fact that it took eight months to complete three months of training. I sold my truck to afford to pay my mortgage. Literally. And the absolute lack of communication from the company regarding training.... I.e., showing up to systems training unsure if we even had an instructor.
3. At your airline, what happens if a pilot experiences problems with their recurrent checkrides or other checking events?
Remdial training. Placed under "increased scrutiny". Fired. In that order.

4. Do you have any advice for me regarding how to best prepare for training when I start my airline career?
Enjoy it. Take it seriously, but get to know your classmates and have fun. There is time for studying and time for a beverage. Memory items, limitations, call-outs, flows, systems. In that order.