View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 02:21 PM
kingsnake2
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by splash333 View Post
How exactly does the splitting time thing work? I know I need 40 hours to get ppl then I can split some of the other 200 hours to get to commercial? I would like to go 0- commercial by the end of next year. I would like to work full-time and use all the money to pay for my training as I go over the course of the year. How demanding is flight training if I am working day 50 hours a week ill I be able to fly like 5 hours a week doing like 2-3 lessons a week and study in my free time. I am pretty good with self study I feel like I did mostly self study in college and did well.
First off, I wouldn't plan on PPL being 40 hours, especially if you are doing it part time on top of full-time work. I would plan on a minimum of 50 hours if doing training part time.

As for time sharing, you can start it any time after private. You'll need about 50 hours of dual time for instrument and commercial initial, so a total of around 150 hours of time sharing if you do every bit of time building with another pilot. Most students do less - more like 100 hours shared.

The legal bits of it are that one PIC pilot is under the hood and the other is VFR PIC. Both log the time except for takeoff and landing during which only one of you can log the time.