View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 11:27 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

To the OP...

The grass is always greener, you're suffering from that, but so are all the people telling you don't do it (many pro pilots have never had a real job so their expectations are base-lined on 15+ days off/month).

I would generally say it would not be a good idea for any 33 y/o MD/DO or major airline pilot to switch careers to the other. Both are prestigious, well paying, and require a lot of investment in time and money. At that point, just work to live and enjoy life.

Now I get that nobody is really passionate about radiology, while aviation can in fact get your blood stirring (I'm usually happy to be flying on a nice day if things are going smoothly).

So if for some reason aviation is just an irresistible siren song, then go get a PPL and take it from there. If GA isn't enough and you just can't tear yourself away, then keep taking the next step as long as you feel the need (don't do the jet blue thing though, that's dumb).

You can generally work side jobs in aviation, and you would most certainly want to keep your medical skills on the back burner. Unlike pilots trapped by the seniority system, you can go back to medicine and pick right up where you left off if needed.

There are more than a couple doctors and lawyers flying for major airlines.

Last edited by rickair7777; 10-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.