View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:43 PM
PotatoChip
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by Fliestoomuch310 View Post
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. It’s not entirely a grass is greener (my aunt is an instructor for a legacy and I got pretty early exposure to the work) but more of a long standing dream. My early career goal was to fly for a major airline. However, I came out of college in 2006 when furloughs were common, which is why I never pursued it.

I will look in to my options. I am very lucky with radiology in that I have a lot of flexibility (I can switch to a 7 on/7 off and be full time with the caviat that this would be night work).

Once again, thanks for your feedback.
When I was 33 I was furloughed and almost made the opposite move. I was fed up with the airline career, and couldn't take the ups and downs, and flat out luck involved. I looked into several post-bachelor pre-med programs, and visited with the dean of the Harvard program. I nearly pulled the trigger, but was talked out of it.

I'd also be one to say "Don't do it." It's a great job (sometimes), but a terrible career, unless you happen to be really lucky.

I'm typing this from a Holiday Inn next to I-95 next to a gas station and a Cracker Barrel. I've lost all my savings three times in my career, and I started with $110,000 in student debt.