View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Pokeysrider
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Default CFI training

831 hit on some good points. Writing your own lesson is a good way to learn part of the material. The final part comes with practing teaching it. My wife listened and learned a lot, letting me teach it to her. No wait, working and teach to her helped me get the FOIs (FUNdimentals of Instruction) cemented in my head. Teaching my fellow students in my CFI Academy was the final part of learning the material. If you can teach it, then you know it.
Seriously, it’s a large PIA to write them. However, your friendly FAA inspector or DPE will spot a canned, purchased lesson after about the fourth sentence you speak from it.
There’s about a dozen to write for the initial. My recommendation, if you are the kind of person who learns new material best in a structured format-now I know that I’m going to get torched on this, but go to an American Flyers CFI Academy. You’ll be given the classroom instruction necessary to put all the lessons together and have fellow candidates to practice on. They put more people through than most all the others combined, excepting ATP, UND and Embry Riddle. If not AF, then another good sized provider. No matter who you go to, it’ll be faster and more organized than going to a local trainer provider with the necessary 2 year CFI to get it done.
I mentioned FAA Examiner, as by FAR, they have to do the initial CFI checkride, unless they can’t schedule you, then they will telll you to find a DPE. Always call them and introduce yourself and learn what they will want to see and hear from you. They are there to help you pass, seriously, if you’ve put in the effort to get this far, they want for you to pass your ride. Get the gouge on the various DPEs in your area by asking around. If it is an FAA Examiner, be totally prepared, because rarely will they overlook asking every single item on the checkride worksheet PTS or ACS. They can be a very large PIA. Either way, you’ll be required to teach at least two lessons in oral and that much or more in the air. It is not about reslly precise flying, like your commercial, but it is about how well you can fly and describe what you are doing to a “student”!!
Good luck, as primary flight instruction is some of the most rewarding working you can do, from the standpoint of emotional gratification, not so much on the financial reward, though. Have fun!!