View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That might be as simple as disagreeing with where the resources are placed and how they are used. Sometimes management fails to execute the mission or places unreasonable obstacles to completing it, or there aren't the resources to complete it. I'd have to imagine as drones get more commonly used (no fear of losing an asset other than the drone) it will change many of the factors at play. I think already flying an airplane low over the border is probably not the preferred way to get drugs in, most just load them up in cars and trucks and take them right past the checkpoint. Interdiction is definitely needed for fast movers, boats, etc., but as surveillance technology gets better, those will probably be utilized less and the more effective smuggling operations (tunnels, freaking catapults, drones, cars, mules, etc.) are probably maximized. If this is the case, then I think you might question how the mission is executed at the least, if it's not flexible to meet the changing environment.

I'm curious as well though to know what was meant by that.
I can see some of that.....but much of what you said isn't disagreeing with the mission as much as how that mission in executed.

Some of this comes from the troops in the dirt which often has to be given a little sideways glance. Just because the Private doesn't understand why they have to take that building, doesn't mean that it's not important to take that building.

CBP has certainly taken a hit in the past few years. I ran into another of their former pilots on the road last week. He echoes most of what was said here in past threads.