View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by mitchw62 View Post
I go a job offer with a regional but need to work to Jan 12 get one more year retirement and a manger at an electric utility, and have a start class date of Jan 15.

I have 4500TT 800ME 2500CFIGiven, CFI/MEI-ATP-A&P-IA.
Which regional would give the fastest path to a major?

mitch
Depends. Any of that turbine time? If not, it doesn't count for much, any piston time above ATP mins is not really relevant for majors unless it's something really cool like warbirds and even then it's a conversation starter at the interview.

Two possible scenarios.

If you're an average white guy pilot with a degree, clean training, criminal, and social media history, right now I'm seeing 7K-10K TT, 5K+ turbine, and at least 2K TPIC for a legacy call (less if you're willing to work for $30k at spirit, F9, etc.). Those number should come down a bit over the next few years, maybe more than a bit.

In that case you might better off with an AA regional with flow. You can still apply to other majors, and maybe get hired sooner but worst case you'll have a predictable path to AA.

If there's something about your background which might make your resume pop out, then you might better off going for the fastest upgrade, get some TPIC and see if you can get a call early. Avoid bottom-feeders like mesa and go-jet, they are not black-listed but there are enough people out there who resent them that it might bite you in the butt at an interview.

Not sure what your age cutoff would be, but it would probably be worth doing up to age 60 if you can live in a junior base.