View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM
BMEP100
Banned

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Tom’s Whipping boy.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
We have special equipment onboard to deal with Li batteries now (in the cabin). Easily as in in it can be contained, and you know the status. FA will have something to talk about at the bar later.

If it's in the cargo bin, you have no idea what's going on and how bad it is, whether you need to divert, ditch, or land on I-405.

But yes, immediate action for any on-board fire is going to be point to a suitable divert.
I am familiar , no aware of the procedures. They look good on paper. I'm skeptical although in reality. Imagine, after the thing starts burning and igniting whatever it is touching as well, someone goes to search for the gloves and the bag. Once you get them on, you approach the device, putting out acrid toxic smoke. If you are able to grab it and get it in the bag without choking out or having your eyes burned, you've made a good start. Then you have to fight the cabin fire started by the device. Otherwise, oh yeah.. guess we're gonna need the hood before we can grab it. Those are difficult to actually manipulate anything with it on.

Still, it would be preferable than in the hold.