Old 10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Elmo17
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
So how does that work? I mean you're paying ER tuition I assume and that includes the cost of flying I assume. So ER pays for you to rent from them or how does that work?
Technically, no. Lenders consider flying to be “high risk” and wont lend money for flying. So, you have to accumulate extra loan $ not spent on tuition and use that for flight lesson costs, or use grant $.

I recommend skipping college. Just use credit cards (or get a loan; DO NOT tell the loan officer it is for flight lessons, unless you have a good cosigner) at a part 61 flight school. You dont need a college degree, but you can always get one later after you are a regional airline pilot. I dont know of any aviation colleges where tuition covers the cost of flight training.

Ive heard good things about ATP. You pay a bit more, but will have a CFI job waiting for you and you will get there quick. But, I think a part 61 school is the cheapest option. From PPL to CPL, I estimate under $18,000. If you decide to get your multi and CFI right away, that will cost more obviously. You could probably get a job with a wet CPL and just skip the multi and CFI.