View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Highly qualified military pilots dying in piston ASEL is nothing new, and I've commented on that before. Apparently GA is different enough that high-performance mil skills don't transfer completely without some disciplined critical thinking and study/training.

I don't think the airplane has design issues, it flies just fine. I think the market niche attracts a certain type of pilot: busy (ie time pressured), successful, and typically pretty self confidant. The glass cockpit (one of the first ones in GA) probably attracts folks who have an IFR mission. The glass and parachute probably enable a false sense of security in some highly confidant pilots.
I agree with everything you said.

Perhaps I shouldn't say "design issues," more just an aggressive, high-efficiency, relatively highly loaded airfoil. A Cessna is forgiving for the most ham-handed pilot, gives lots of tactile feedback and warning before spinning or doing anything really unexpected, the Cirrus much less so. I do maneuvers in a Cessna that I wouldn't attempt in a Cirrus.