Old 11-13-2017, 06:30 AM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by DustoffVT View Post
All very true. Someone once described the difference between UPS airlines and FedEx to me as UPS being a trucking company that flew planes and vice versa, and the same comparison holds for Army/AF. The Army is a massive ground game with helicopters (Army FW is so miniscule it hardly counts). Witness the flightsuit assimilation police.

I went to Rucker with 3000 hours and a regional/night cargo background, and was stunned at the lack of "aviation" concerns - airspace, ATC, instrument flying. Just a different focus. Here at CBP we see tons of Army guys fail our checkride due to inability to fly an approach or hold.

Back to the OP, I know three RLO's who made the transition to ANG, one vipers and two heavy cargo. All went almost immediately after getting back from IERW, within a year. Probably had started their packets while still there.

I would think that the best transition from ARNG to ANG right now would be through active duty.
Agree with all. Fwiw I was active duty and had an ANG fighter unit wanting to hire me, but the army wouldn’t let me out of my flight school commitment. By the time that was up, no unit wanted to hire me. I have heard ARNG will not hold you to the commitment if you are going into the air guard, so anyone in that position may have an easier out. Also fwiw, I had a very influential AF 3 Star try to get me an interservice transfer to active duty Air Force (with an associated UPT slot) and his buddy, the AETC commander, among others CC’d on the email, said there was no path on active duty to get the required waivers/ETPs for a guy seeking an interservice transfer and to stick with trying the ANG since they had more leeway. Perhaps times have changed in the last couple years. And perhaps with this shortage the Air Force should relook a FWQ or short UPT course like they had until 2012 or so.