Old 11-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Ohlsan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by ArmyFW View Post
Yea it's an awesome program. We go through Upset Recovery Training where we do aerobatics and spins and whatnot. The trainer is a pretty powerful turbine powered single engine called the Grob 120TP. And compared to what I've heard about flight safety we get A LOT more specialized training because it isn't a transition anymore. I hate that fixed wing in the army gets such a bad rap but I know it used to be a kind of retirement home. At least that's what I've been told, (again I'm a new guy). We get a lot more hours than the guys just going through the transition get. We only fly helicopters for the very beginning of flight training before moving to fixed wing. The training is a lot of instruments, and we get to explore the full envelope of flight during UPRT taught by APS. And then after getting our wings we have even more fixed wing training that isn't at ft Rucker before we are even flying with our unit. I think the army is trying to change its whole dynamic in regards to the fixed wing community.
You will be set up for a major when you hit 6 years, by then you should be an IP, and possibly an SP. If you want some extra insurance get a masters degree. It is not nessesary, but you can do it for free and it will help the resume. I️ know of at least 7 National Guard FW guys that have been hired in the last year at the majors and Army Guard FW is a very small community. If by some chance a major doesn’t hire you, a regional will.