Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Stanimal
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
Chinese medicals are very tough, but the Chinese airlines are trying to change that.

I have read, from numerous sources, for example, if you are over 50, and in PERFECT health you have a 50/50 chance of passing the medical.
Also, as described above, LOTS of false positive test results for all kinds of medical issues. Some guys were taking their medicals in various provinces, passing in some, failing in others...

I was offered a job in China, and I turned it down, partly because of the physical exam situation...
I agree with most of this. What I would add is that the medical is not difficult in the sense that you do not have to do anything special. It is very thorough, but not demanding. Full body CT scan, EKG, eyes, ears, blood work for just about everything, and very tight standards. I failed once for having too high creatine levels; I was taking creatine!

I tell all my friends, whether you want to work in China or not, go for the medical. It is the most comprehensive medical you will have, and it's free. Don't take the job, just do the medical. Within three months, three people I know had major diagnosis. One had a brain tumor and was in surgery within a week from leaving the medical. Another had cardiovascular issues and was in heart surgery within the month. And one had an aneurysm discovered on the carotid artery. There have been others, but I'm not as familiar with them. Any age, any aircraft type, any company, I suggest going for a free medical. If you get misdiagnosed, just get a second opinion back home.