Thread: FedEx Schedules
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by MEMA300 View Post
6 hour day hubturn layovers hurt the per diem check
God bless the guys who count each nickel.

Two 757 trips...compare them. 394 goes to Jax during the day, 754 to TLH at night. I picked those because I've flown both (in the MD-11 and 727 respectively) and they are about the same distance.

The day trip pays 19 hours per diem. The AM trip pays 22.

Our new domestic per diem rate is $2.30 domestically. So--basic math:

JAX day trip pays $43.70. TLH pays $50.60, or a different of $6.90.

In the event just [I]maybe[I] you would rather fly days, go have a beer at dinner, and piddle away 4-5 hours in MEM during the day working out, golfing, working on business endeavors, or whatever, but really need that seven bucks...here's a suggestion. Eat cat food. Really. You can get some saltines, a can of cat food, and have a lunch and pocket and invest that 7 bucks while you read your Dave Ramsey book. You are probably still healthier, happier, and wealthier than being a bleary eyed hub turn machine. Years ago I knew a captain who said his whole goal for his month was to eat on less than his per diem every day on the road. Ryan's buffets were one option, but his standard SOP was to RTB to the room with some subway or McDonalds take out. Then again..."Living the Dream" is a matter of individual taste.

Conversely, if you cannot hold day flying, your goal is to go find a "Captain Cat Food" and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Offer to trade your high per diem, middle of the night multi leg hub turn, and tell him you will even pay him ten whole dollars a day to offset any potential per diem shortfall.

Me? If/when I RTB to the land of the big BX, I will gladly trade any night flying for your day trip and hand you a crisp set of bills for the difference. At WB captain rates I'll even throw in more than the 7 bucks.....

Last edited by Albief15; 11-27-2017 at 05:41 PM.